This is a very simple recipe that I put together for a light lunch. It is perfect for times when you want to enjoy healthy food that takes little time to prepare. All you need to do is just takes whatever veggies what you have in your fridge or pantry and whip up some dressing. Putting together this salad probably took no more than 10 minutes. (Eating it will probably take even less )
The dressing is slightly sweet, balanced out with a splash of fish sauce and lemon juice. Quite refreshing and has a slight hint of Thai flavour. I highly recommend adding in cilantro; it really greatly boosts the flavour!
Salad of Lost Jewels with Sweet Chili Dressing
Serves 1 – 2 (depending on how much veggies you want to have~)
What you’ll need…
- 1/4 cup pomegranate
- 1/2 cucumber, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 avocado, diced into small chunks
- 1/4 cup cilantro, plus extra for garnish
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 drop soy sauce
- A drizzle of sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- Dice half an avocado into small chunks. Add in lemon juice and set aside.
- Peel and slice cucumber into very thin strips. Sprinkle sliced cucumbers with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let stand for a few minutes. Squeeze out excess moisture. Set aside.
- Combine sweet chili sauce, fish sauce, water, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small and mix well. Stir in cilantro.
- In a large bowl, toss together cucumbers, corn and avocado. Pour dressing over salad and mix well.
- Sprinkle in pomegranate (here’s a simple guide on how to open pomegranate). Add garnish. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature or cooled.
I intentionally made this salad meatless, but you can definitely add in some meat (chicken or seafood perhaps?). Also try tossing in a handful of nuts or some feta cheese to top it off! Use this recipe as a basis and play with it!